Hamilton in Butler County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Champion Hamilton Mill
The Champion Coated Paper Company began production here April 15, 1894, with nine employees under the direction of Peter G. Thomson (1851-1931), a Cincinnati businessman, who had incorporated the firm in November 1893. Thomson, previously a bookseller and publisher, recognized that recent progress in half-tone printing would increase the demand for coated paper. In 1891 he purchased 187 acres west of the Great Miami River to develop into subdivisions. When a recession contributed to a housing slump, Thomson used some of the land along Seven Mile Pike (now North B Street) to build the plant which coated paper produced by other paper mills in Hamilton. The first coated paper was shipped from the mill May 4, 1894.
(Continued on other side)
By 1900, Thomson had doubled the capacity of the original Hamilton plant five times. In June 1902 the company manufactured paper for the first time in Hamilton, opening a new paper mill simultaneously with a rebuilt coating plant. By 1910, the Hamilton mill was regarded as the largest coated-paper mill in the world. During its first 20 years, the mill survived two floods (March 1898 and March 1913), two fires (December 1901 and March 1913), several business cycles, numerous technological advances, and market changes. Under Thomson, the company also
to the thousands of
employees and their families
who contributed to the
success of Champion in its
first 100 years.
April 16, 1994
Erected 1994 by Champion International, Greater Hamilton Chamber of Commerce, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 3-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 24.613′ N, 84° 33.617′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is at the intersection of B Street and Black Street, on the left when traveling north on B Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 N. B Street, Hamilton OH 45013, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lane-Hooven House (approx. half a mile away); The Dream of Hamiltonia (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hamilton Hydraulic (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site of Fort Hamilton Hamilton (approx. 0.7 miles away); Earliest Industry (approx. 0.7 miles away); High-Main Street Bridge (approx. 0.7 miles away); Native American Trail (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hamilton.
Also see . . .
1. Short History of Champion Papers. (Submitted on March 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of Champion International. (Submitted on March 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
A 65 page book entitled, "Champion: 100 years of papermaking in Hamilton, Ohio," was written by Jim Blount in 1994 and published by the company. OCLC No. ocm36816102
— Submitted March 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Categories. • Communications • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Natural Resources • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,646 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.