Alexander City in Tallapoosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The First Baptist Church
On August 3, 1872 eleven men and women guided by Rev. A. K. Tribble met under the bush arbor and organized the Youngsville Baptist Church. J. T. P. Christian and B. B. Reams were elected deacons and T. S. Christian, Sr. was elected clerk. Following the town’s name change the next year, the church became the Alexander City Baptist Church. Sunday services were held once a month until 1879.
On this site in 1877 the congregation erected its first house-of-worship, a wood-frame structure valued at $1000. The church erected new sanctuaries on this site in 1906 and in 1967.
Erected 2001 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 56.599′ N, 85° 57.242′ W. Marker is in Alexander City, Alabama, in Tallapoosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Square and Church Street, on the right when traveling south on Court Square. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 64 Court Square, Alexander City AL 35010, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Alexander City: A Textile Community (within shouting distance of this marker); Court Square (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Savannah And Memphis Railroad 1874 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Youngsville (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church 1872 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Needmore 1873 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Menawa, War Chief (approx. 6 miles away but has been reported missing). Click for a list of all markers in Alexander City.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 646 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.