Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Muscle Shoals in Colbert County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Howell & Graves School

 
 
Howell & Graves School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, July 22, 2009
1. Howell & Graves School Marker
Inscription. Marker Front:
Muscle Shoals City was incorporated on April 24, 1923. Among the leading developers were New York realtors A.L. Howell and C.T. Graves. Their interest in Muscle Shoals was inspired by the vision of Henry Ford to use power from Wilson Dam and the Nitrate Plants to "employ one million workers and build a city 75 miles wide." Although Ford's vision remained unfulfilled, Howell & Graves helped develop the town by building the first City Hall, bungalows, a service station, and Howell & Graves School. Cast iron street lights, fire hydrants, and drinking fountains were placed along Wilson Dam road near the school. The streets, constructed through farmland, were edged with concrete curbing and sidewalks. Other real estate speculators also came into the area buying land, parceling it in 25-foot lots and selling them, sight unseen, to people across the United States and from foreign countries.

Marker Reverse:
The Howell & Graves Junior High School was designed by architect Harry J. Frahn and built in 1927 in the neoclassical style and the Neo-Tudor Gothic tradition, symbolically associated with the Ivy League Schools. Decorative brick work, which originally crowned the building, gave it a castle- like appearance. It was known as one of the finest buildings in the region and was often the scene of
Howell & Graves School Marker Reverse image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, July 22, 2009
2. Howell & Graves School Marker Reverse
political rallies and other special events. The state-of-the-art auditorium, with a seating capacity of 500, had elevated floors and opera-style seating. The stage had hand-painted canvas backdrops and lighting. in 1959, for a sum of $300, this school was transferred from the Colbert County School System to the newly formed Muscle Shoals City Board of Education.
 
Erected 2006 by the City of Muscle Shoals and Colbert County Historical Landmarks Foundation Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location. 34° 44.015′ N, 87° 38.11′ W. Marker is in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, in Colbert County. Marker is on S. Wilson Dam Highway one mile from Kimberley Drive. Click for map. Building is now used by the Muscle Shoals Board of Education. Marker is in front of building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3200 S. Wilson Dam Highway, Muscle Shoals AL 35661, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. History of Muscle Shoals, Alabama (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Singing River Sculpture (approx. 0.9 miles away); Tuscumbia's Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); Trenholm High School (approx. 3.6 miles away); Sheffield Colored School/Sterling High School
Howell & Graves School image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, July 22, 2009
3. Howell & Graves School
(approx. 3.6 miles away); The Blues Trail: Mississippi to Alabama (approx. 3.6 miles away); Old Railroad Bed (approx. 3.7 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Muscle Shoals.
 
Categories. EducationLandmarksNotable PersonsNotable PlacesRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Construction of sidewalks for Muscle Shoals image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, November 16, 2009
4. Construction of sidewalks for Muscle Shoals
All new sidewalks and curbing Workers shown on Wilson Dam Road around 1927 laying sidewalks and curbing. Many of these are still in Muscle Shoals today, complete with lot numbers stamped in the sidewalk. (picture taken at New City Hall)
Early Street Lights & Road Signs in Muscle Shoals image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, November 16, 2009
5. Early Street Lights & Road Signs in Muscle Shoals
Early Sidewalks, Road Signs, Street Lights image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, November 16, 2009
6. Early Sidewalks, Road Signs, Street Lights
In 1923 when Muscle Shoals was incorporated, sidewalks like the one below, were put in and numbered in 20 and 40 foot lots. Many still remain today although he light poles and street signs have been relocated. Light pole donated by Grant Azbell. Lantern donated by Floyd Curtis/Holophane. Street sign donated by J.B. Meadows. Framed promotional brochures donated by William Britton and Oscar Medley.
The New City - Muscle Shoals image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, November 16, 2009
7. The New City - Muscle Shoals
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 1,403 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.   4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement