Texas in Henry County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wabash & Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 41° 25.412′ N, 83° 56.794′ W. Marker is in Texas, Ohio, in Henry County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 24 and County Route 4, on the left when traveling west on U.S. 24. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Liberty Center OH 43532, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oak Tree (approx. 1.1 miles away); Prairie Des Mascoutins / Damascus (approx. 3.3 miles away); Providence Historical District (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Howard Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); Grand Rapids (approx. 4.3 miles away); Dominick Labino (approx. 4.5 miles away); Miami & Erie Canal (approx. 4.7 miles away); The Henry County Courthouse (approx. 9.5 miles away).
More about this marker. When the text of this historical states that Sec. No. 53 W.&E.C. completed 1842, it means that Section Number 53 of the Wabash & Erie Canal was completed in 1842 by James Durbin.
In a book written by Jack Gieck about Ohio's canal era, he states the following:
In addition, the driving tour of Henry County adds the following insights, "Village of Texas, platted 1845 by James Durbin. Canal-era Homes & Businesses still standing. Sandstone Bad Creek Culvert (at Durbin Monument) allowed canal water (now US 24) to flow over creek."
Categories. • Notable Events • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 920 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.