“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

State House Square

State House Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, October 8, 2007
1. State House Square Marker
Inscription. This square is named to commemorate the 200th anniversary on December 12, 1978, of the Court of Appeals of Maryland, the state’s highest court. It encompasses Lawyers Street, shown on the earliest map of Annapolis (1718) connecting Publick Circle (now State Circle) with Tabernacle Street (now College Avenue).

The Maryland General Assembly, acting under the provisions of the state’s first constitution (1776), named the initial judges of the court on December 12, 1778 and, with Governor Thomas Johnson, issued commissions on December 22, 1778

The court first convened October 1, 1780 in the Revenue Office on Duke of Gloucester Street in the City of Annapolis and continued to hold its sessions there until ca. 1789 when it moved to the State House in 1903. The court began sitting in its own building on the site of this marker, designed by the Baltimore architectural firm of Baldwin and Pennington. The Courthouse included elegant Tiffany studio windows, depicting the state seal and a domed Tiffany studio skylight.

In 1972 the court moved approximately one mile northwest of this marker to its present home on Roscoe Rowe Boulevard. The courtroom of the 1903 structure with its uniquely carved mahogany paneling and sculptured plaster ceiling has been reconstructed in the new building.

In 1976 the old courthouse
Thurgood Marshall (1908–1993) Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, October 8, 2007
2. Thurgood Marshall (1908–1993) Memorial
1996 bronze by Antonio Tobias Mendez is approx 8 feet tall.
was replaced by the Legislative Services building to the left of this marker, in which the Tiffany windows and dome of the earlier building are incorporated.
Erected by Maryland State Bar Association.
Location. 38° 58.768′ N, 76° 29.518′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is on College Avenue (Maryland Route 450) near Bladen Street. Click for map. This marker is on the grounds of the Maryland State House. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governor Sir Francis Nicholson and Bloomsbury Square (a few steps from this marker); Thurgood Marshall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Government House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of the Methodist Church (about 300 feet away); Southgate Memorial (about 300 feet away); Maryland State House (about 300 feet away); White Oak (about 300 feet away); Matthew Alexander Henson (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Annapolis.
Categories. 20th CenturyAfrican AmericansColonial EraNotable Buildings
State House Square image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, October 8, 2007
3. State House Square
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,147 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement