Nacgodoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Spanish settlements, 1716.
Alternately settled and abandoned in 18th century due to French encroachments.
Scene of the Fredonian Rebellion in 1827.
Organized a municipality, 1832 under the Mexican government.
Created a county March 17, 1836.
Organized May 24, 1837.
Nacogdoches established 1779,
became the county seat in 1836.
Erected 1936 by Texas Highway Department. (Marker Number 9298.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 31° 38.926′ N, 94° 39.312′ W. Marker is in Nacgodoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. Marker is on North Street north of Roselake Drive, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. The marker is in front of Walmart. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4810 North Street, Nacogdoches TX 75961, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old North Church Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Site of Old North Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Alton W. Birdwell Stephen F. Austin State Teachers College During World War II (approx. 2 miles away); Site of the Home of Thomas J. Rusk (approx. 2.1 miles away); Site of the Home of Juan Antonio Padilla (approx. 2.6 miles away); Westminster Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); La Calle Real del Norte (approx. 2.6 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 585 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.