Hamilton in Butler County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
James Elrick, a local carpenter, built the Lane-Hooven House in 1863 for Clark Lane (1823-1907), a Hamilton industrialist and philanthropist. Lane, who first came to the area at age twenty-one as a blacksmith, resided in the house for more than eleven years. In 1866, Lane built the library, also originally an octagon, across the street. In 1868, he conveyed the library to the city. The C. Earl Hooven family resided in the house from 1895 to 1942. In 1943, Bertrand Kahn purchased the residence and presented it to the community for civic and charitable uses. It was donated as a memorial to his father, Lazard Kahn, a Hamilton industrialist and civic leader. The Lane-Hooven House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
The Lane-Hooven house has eleven rooms and was built in the Gothic Revival architectural style, which was popular in Ohio from approximately 1835 to 1870. Accordingly, the house features a sharply pitched roof and decorative bargeboard under the eaves. Exterior features also included a greenhouse, formerly on the south side of the house; and on the front lawn, a fountain - believed to be the first in Hamilton. The plan of the dwelling, an octagon, made its appearance in Ohio in the 1850s
Erected 1999 by Hamilton Community Foundation and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 24.171′ N, 84° 33.527′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is on 3rd Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. House and marker are across 3rd Street from the Lane Public Library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 319 N. 3rd Street, Hamilton OH 45011, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lentil Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Butler County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Heritage Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hamilton (approx. The High-Main Street Bridge (approx. 0.3 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Native American Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Hamilton (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hamilton.
Also see . . .
1. About the Lane Library. (Submitted on March 18, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of the Lane-Hooven House. (Submitted on March 18, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Education • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,644 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.