Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tuscaloosa in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Warrior-Tombigbee Waterway

 
 
The Warrior-Tombigbee Waterway Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, March 13, 2010
1. The Warrior-Tombigbee Waterway Marker
Inscription. From 1887-1915, seventeen locks and dams were constructed on the Warrior - Tombigbee Rivers. The first 3 were built on the fall line in Tuscaloosa. This was the site of No. 3, later No. 12.
The Warrior - Tombigbee Development Association, founded in Tuscaloosa in 1950 by leaders from Birmingham, Mobile and Tuscaloosa, led the effort to modernize the waterway. Six modern locks and dams, replacing the original 17, have been built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers between Mobile and Port Birmingham, providing efficient navigation, flood control, recreation and hydropower. As a result of the Association's efforts barge tow travel time was cut in half and the size of payloads tripled.
Erected May 19, 2000 as the Warrior - Tombigbee Waterway Association celebrated its 50th anniversary.
 
Erected 2000 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location. 33° 13.292′ N, 87° 32.781′ W. Marker is in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in Tuscaloosa County. Marker can be reached from Jack Warner Parkway Northeast north of Hackberry Lane. Click for map. Marker is located in the Manderson Landing Park between Jack Warner Parkway Northeast and the Black Warrior River. Marker is in this post office area: Tuscaloosa AL 35401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At
The Warrior-Tombigbee Waterway Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, March 13, 2010
2. The Warrior-Tombigbee Waterway Marker
least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Marr’s Spring (approx. half a mile away); B.B. Comer Hall, 1908 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Woods Hall, 1868 (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Gorgas-Manly Historic District (approx. 0.6 miles away); Morgan Hall, 1910 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gorgas House (approx. 0.6 miles away); University of Alabama’s Slavery Apology (approx. 0.7 miles away); Oliver-Barnard Hall (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tuscaloosa.
 
Categories. GovernmentMan-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels
 
The Park at Manderson Landing Sign image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, March 13, 2010
3. The Park at Manderson Landing Sign
Lock #3 is now part of the Manderson Landing Park. image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, March 13, 2010
4. Lock #3 is now part of the Manderson Landing Park.
Standing on what used to be the lock wall of Lock #3 looking downriver of the Black Warrior. image. Click for full size.
By Tim Carr, March 13, 2010
5. Standing on what used to be the lock wall of Lock #3 looking downriver of the Black Warrior.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,310 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement