Richmond in Wayne County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The First Toll Gate
Erected 1934 by Weetomp Chapter, Daughters of the American Colonists, Mrs. Jerome Powers, Mrs. Elmer L. Rees.
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
Location. 39° 49.821′ N, 84° 52.353′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Indiana, in Wayne County. Marker is on East Main Street (U.S. 40) near North 22th Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond IN 47374, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Madonna of the Trail (here, next to this marker); Sailor Street (approx. one mile away); Richmond's Record Roots (approx. 1.1 miles away); Freedom Fountain (approx. 1.2 miles away); 1968 Downtown Richmond Explosion (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Richmond.
More about this marker. It appears that this brass tablet is no longer at the spot where the Daughters of the American Colonists originally placed it. It has been staked next to the Madonna of the Trail monument.
— Submitted February 19, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,534 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.