Lufkin in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Machinery from Early East Texas Logging Railroads
The 1906 wood-burning steam loader was also used by Carter-Kelley in building Manning Mill, and later served on "portable" logging railroads. Its cables could skid logs to tracks from distances of 300 to 500 feet.
Carter-Kelley merged (1930s) with W.T. Carter & Brother. This equipment was retired in 1950s.
Erected 1972 by Texas Historical Survey Commision. (Marker Number 6992.)
Location. 31° 21.02′ N, 94° 42.297′ W. Marker is in Lufkin, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is on Atkinson Drive, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. On the grounds of the Texas Forestry Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1903 Atkinson Drive, Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mantooth Farm (approx. 1.1 miles away); Angelina (approx. 1.3 miles away); Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Angelina & Neches River Railroad First Baptist Church of Lufkin (approx. 1.5 miles away); Site of Martin Wagon Company (approx. 1.5 miles away); Lufkin Telephone Exchange (approx. 1.6 miles away); Site of Rehearsal Hall for the The Hoo Hoo Band (approx. 1.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lufkin.
Categories. • Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,391 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.