Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

District Court Tree

 
 
District Court Tree Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, February 5, 2010
1. District Court Tree Marker
Inscription. In 1837 this oak sheltered Texas jurors. Courthouse was unfinished because logs coming down-river for building had swept past in strong current. R. M. Williamson, presiding, was called "Three-legged Willie" due to appearance: he had good leg, crippled leg, and wooden leg.
 
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1231.)
 
Location. 29° 42.375′ N, 96° 32.355′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1100 Travis Street, Columbus TX 78934, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1890 Cornerstone Ceremony (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Site of Doctor Logue's Drugstore (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stage Lines Through Columbus (about 300 feet away); Tumlinson Family (about 300 feet away); The Rangers of Austin's Colony (about 300 feet away); The Columbus Tap Railway (about 400 feet away); Stafford-Miller House (about 400 feet away); Confederate Memorial Museum (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
 
Also see . . .
1. Handbook of Texas Online entry for Columbus, Texas.
District Court Tree and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, February 5, 2010
2. District Court Tree and Marker
"Judge Robert McAlpin (Three Legged Willie) Williamson reportedly convened the first district court in Colorado County in the shade of a large oak tree near the site of the present courthouse. The trunk of the tree, long since dead, still sports a historical plaque and for a time provided the background for yearly reenactments of the original court." (Submitted on April 20, 2010, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.) 

2. Columbus Court Oak at Famous Trees of Texas. The Famous Trees of Texas web site tells why court was held under this tree after the Texas Revolution and gives an example of "frontier justice" from three-legged Willie. (Submitted on April 24, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.) 
 
Categories. GovernmentNotable Persons
 
Mayes Hotel image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, January 24, 2010
3. Mayes Hotel
The Mayes Hotel sits just across the street from the old oak. Historic marker visible in foreground.
Another Marker, District Court Tree image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, January 24, 2010
4. Another Marker, District Court Tree
This marker also sits at the base of the tree. It reads:
Beneath this tree the first Court of the Third Judicial District of the Republic of Texas was held April, 1837 by
Judge Robert M. Williamson
("Three Legged Willie")
--
Marked by the State of Texas, 1936
District Court Tree Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, September 1, 2014
5. District Court Tree Marker
Marker left of center in picture
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 807 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.   3, 4. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.   5. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement