“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Jollyville Community and School

Jollyville Community and School Marker image. Click for full size.
By D. Kevin Surbaugh, July 7, 2012
1. Jollyville Community and School Marker
Inscription. This area was first settled in the 1840s by Henry Rhodes. He was soon joined by such pioneers as Elisha Prewitt, who fought in the Battle of San Jacinto, and Civil War veterans Elisha Rhodes, J. Bryon Jenkins, and William H. Thompson, whose home at this site served as a stage stop. In 1866 Confederate veteran John G. Jolly established the Jollyville community. The owner of a store and blacksmith shop, he gave land for a cemetery and for a school (200 ft. W), which was merged with Pond Springs in 1903. Later growth in the Jollyville area resulted from nearby urban development.
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9113.)
Location. Marker has been confirmed missing. It was likely located near 30° 26.202′ N, 97° 46.259′ W. Marker was in Austin, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker could be reached from Pond Springs Road north of McNeil Drive. Click for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 12883 Pond Springs Road, Austin TX 78729, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Jolly Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pond Springs Community and School (approx. ¾ mile away); Pond Springs Cemetery
William H. Thompson Home image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, March 20, 2010
2. William H. Thompson Home
(approx. 2.4 miles away); St. Stephen’s Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Balcones Fault Aids Colonization of Texas (approx. 3.6 miles away); Waters Park (approx. 3.9 miles away); Cypress School (approx. 4.3 miles away); Merrilltown Cemetery (approx. 4.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
More about this marker. The marker was standing at the side of the road in front of the Red Barn Nursery on Pond Springs Road. It was run into by a car and damaged. The marker was moved inside the nursery at the Thompson House, but has since been removed for repair.
Categories. EducationNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 708 times since then and 126 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by D. Kevin Surbaugh of Baldwin City, Kansas.   2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement