“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Colorado County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Columbus Waterworks

Columbus Waterworks Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, February 5, 2010
1. Columbus Waterworks Marker
Inscription. In 1824 the Mexican government granted to Elizabeth Tumlinson and her heirs the land and water rights to this area in the center of Stephen F. Austin's colony. The town of Columbus developed from a small frontier community. A fire in May 1883 destroyed a livery stable and hotel, threatening downtown Columbus to such a degree that the city council was spurred to action. The Commissioners Court erected a water tower on the courthouse square and a brick pump well based on Spring Street. A water main with seven hydrants was laid around the business district that year and by December 1883 the city organized a fire department. Despite the fact that the water from the Colorado River was processed through a filter before it was carried along the pipes to the citizens of Columbus, it was not always suitable for drinking. The city of Columbus contracted for an artesian well in September 1890. Work on the well was difficult and completion took six months because of several delays. The project was nearly abandoned. In 1909 there were about 100 consumers of the water from Columbus' public water well, which could hold about five hundred gallons at a time and was cut off each night. The river water was considered unfit for drinking. The city installed meters at this time. By 1912 the city faced a water shortage. A new steel tower and reservoir were
Columbus Waterworks image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, February 5, 2010
2. Columbus Waterworks
erected, though citizens continued to value the artesian well for its purported purity and medicinal properties well into the 1930s.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 29° 42.323′ N, 96° 32.275′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street and Spring Street, on the right when traveling north on Front Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus TX 78934, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stage Lines Through Columbus (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Early Site of Doctor Logue's Drugstore (about 400 feet away); District Court Tree (about 500 feet away); 1890 Cornerstone Ceremony (about 600 feet away); Tumlinson Family (about 600 feet away); The Rangers of Austin's Colony (about 600 feet away); Stafford-Miller House (about 700 feet away); Confederate Memorial Museum (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 614 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement