Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Blanding House
Erected 1938 by The Columbia Sesquicentennial Commission of 1936. (Marker Number 40-16.)
Location. 34° 0.538′ N, 81° 2.013′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Blanding Street near Marion Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ladson Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); DeBruhl-Marshall House (about 500 feet away); Church of the Good Shepard (about 800 feet away); Bethel A.M.E. Church (about 800 feet away); Blanding Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Laurel Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mann-Simons Cottage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Gibbes House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbia.
Regarding Site of Blanding House. Abram
The city purchased the system from Blanding at a third of his investment in 1835. As a tribute to Blanding, the town council later changed the name of Walnut Street to Blanding Street.
(History of Columbia)
Categories. • Notable Persons • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 579 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.