Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Denton in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The City of Denton

 
 
The City of Denton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, January 6, 2007
1. The City of Denton Marker
Inscription. Pioneers settled this locality in the 1840s. In 1846 the Texas Legislature created Denton County - one of several carved from the Peters Colony grant. After trying other sites, the voters in 1856 accepted for county seat this tract donated by Hiram Cisco, William Loving, and William Woodruff. The city and county were named for John B. Denton (1806-41), a minister killed while defending frontier settlers. Woodruff, fellow surveyor C.C. Lacy, and attorney Otis Welch platted the townsite. In 1857 city lots were auctioned, the post office opened, and a church founded. J.M. Blount, Joseph A. Carroll, W.F. Egan, and I.D. Ferguson were pioneer leaders. A cotton gin and plants for making bricks, corn meal, flour and ice soon developed. The "Monitor," a newspaper, began its career in 1868. Sam Bass (1851-78), legendary western outlaw, trained and raced "The Denton Mare" while living and working as a local farm hand. North Texas State University originated here as Texas Normal College in 1890, and Texas Women's University opened in 1903 as the College of Industrial Arts. Agriculture-related businesses, education, and small factories sustain the economy. The city grew from 1,194 in its first census (1880) to 39,874 by 1970.
 
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5309.)
The City of Denton Marker is to the right of the courthouse. image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, January 6, 2007
2. The City of Denton Marker is to the right of the courthouse.

 
Location. 33° 12.887′ N, 97° 7.968′ W. Marker is in Denton, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is on Hickory Street near Elm Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. On the courthouse square. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 W. Hickory Street, Denton TX 76201, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John B. Denton (here, next to this marker); Beulah A. Harriss (approx. 0.3 miles away); Elm Fork Bridge (approx. 8.3 miles away); Plainview Cemetery (approx. 12 miles away).
 
Categories. GovernmentSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,064 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement