Paeonian Springs in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Paeonian Springs Station
Two things happened to make places like Paeonian Springs popular. The first was the need to escape heat and epidemics such as the ones that hit Washington in the 1860s and 70s. The second was the expansion of the railroads, making travel easy and inexpensive. The railroad arrived here in 1871.
Paeonian Springs promoted its "healing" springs, which people drank from and bathed in. For ten cents you could buy a gallon to take with you - and bottles were shipped to Washington by rail. By 1912 a boardwalk linked the depot with "downtown," which consisted of a post office, a confectionery store, a mill, a blacksmith shop, a wheelwright shop, a general store, and three boarding houses.
Erected by The Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Regional Park, Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Washington and Old Dominion Railroad marker series.
Location. 39° 8.864′ N, 77° 37.156′ W. Marker is in Paeonian Springs, Virginia Click for map. Located just west of the Simpson Circle crossing of the W&OD Railroad Trail. Marker is in this post office area: Paeonian Springs VA 20129, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clarkes Gap (approx. 0.8 miles away); Tracks into History (approx. 1.7 miles away); Hamilton Station (approx. 1.7 miles away); Early’s Washington Campaign (approx. 1.8 miles away); Swann's Castle (approx. 2.6 miles away); Major General Ben H. Fuller (approx. 2.7 miles away); Waterford (approx. 2.7 miles away); Waterford Baptist Church (approx. 2.7 miles away).
More about this marker. An inset picture shows the station, and the background photograph shows "Raccoon hunters gather[ed] beside the station in October 1912."
Also see . . .
1. Paeonian Springs Station. The photo used in the inset. (Submitted on October 10, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. History of Paeonian Springs. (Submitted on October 10, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. The W&OD in Loudoun County. (Submitted on October 10, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
4. The Washington and Old Dominion Railroad. Book by Ames Williams available on Amazon.com (Submitted on May 7, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.)
5. Rails to the Blue Ridge: The Washington and Old Dominion Railroad, 1847 - 1968. Book by Herbert Harwood available on Amazon.com (Submitted on May 7, 2008, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.)
In 2006, the shelter along the trail at the site of the former Paeonian Springs station contained on its rear wall a sheet of
— Submitted January 29, 2008, by Bernard H. Berne of Arlington, Virginia.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,672 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.