“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bartlett in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Site of German-English School

(50 Yards West)

Site of German-English School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, July 5, 2007
1. Site of German-English School Marker
Inscription. Established by German immigrants in 1880, the German-English School was an early school in the Bartlett area. First called Indian Creek School, the name was changed due to popular usage and the nature of instruction, which was in English during the winter and German during the summer. Closely associated with St. John's Lutheran Church, the school shared facilities with the church until 1896, when a church sanctuary was built. The school was closed in 1948, but the building remained in use for community functions until the early 1960s.
Erected 1988 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2177.)
Location. 30° 48.596′ N, 97° 25.279′ W. Marker is in Bartlett, Texas, in Bell County. Marker can be reached from Texas Route 95. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30650 TX-95, Bartlett TX 76511, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. John Lutheran Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Booker T. Washington School (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Baptist Church of Bartlett (approx. one mile away); Bartlett Grammar School (approx. one mile away); City of Bartlett (approx. 1.1 miles away); Woman's Wednesday Club (approx. 1.1 miles away); First National Bank of Bartlett (approx. 1.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Bartlett (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bartlett.
Categories. Education
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 539 times since then and 60 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement