Huntsville in Walker County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Agricultural products, primarily cotton, were shipped out by steamboat from the late 1840s. When the Civil War began, R.J. Walker declined to support the Confederacy. The Texas Legislature renamed the county in 1863 for Texas Ranger Samuel H. Walker. Martial law was declared in the county for 60 days in 1871 because of Reconstruction-era racial violence.
With the arrival of the railroads in the 1870s, depot towns flourished. Huntsville narrowly avoided the fate of other towns bypassed by the railroads when residents hurriedly raised funds to build funds to build a spur. Cotton never regained its pre-Civil War stature, and lumber and livestock became important businesses in the 20th Century.
The heritage of Walker County, from Native Americans to frontier settlers and U.S. citizens, is one of independent spirit and determination.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12282.)
Location. 30° 43.385′ N, 95° 33.031′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Texas, in Walker County. Marker is on University Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Located at the County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 University Avenue, Huntsville TX 77342, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry Opera House (a few steps from this marker); The Five Courthouses of Walker County (a few steps from this marker); Forrest Lodge No. 19, A.F. & A.M. (within shouting distance of this marker); Cornerstone of the Fourth Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Gibbs Store (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Bedias Indians (about 600 feet away); Sam Houston (approx. 0.3 miles away); Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Huntsville.
Categories. • Native Americans • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 662 times since then and 81 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 20, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?