HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Courtland in Lawrence County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Early Roads / One of the South's First Railroads 1832
 
Early Roads Marker - Side A Photo, Click for full size
By Sandra Hughes, August 23, 2009
1. Early Roads Marker - Side A
 
Inscription.
Side A
Tennessee Street along the north side of the square was originally part of Gainesí Trace, a horse path laid out in 1807 under the direction of Capt. Edmund Pendleton Gaines of the U. S. Army. From Meltonís Bluff on the Tennessee River, the trace ran westward to Cotton Gin Port on the Tombigbee, in present-day Mississippi. Another important early thoroughfare was the Byler Road (1819), which ran southward through Courtland and linked the Tennessee Valley to Tuscaloosa and lower Alabama.

Side B
Seeking a means to ship cotton and other goods around the treacherous Muscle Shoals of the Tennessee River, area planters and merchants met at Courtland in 1831 to consider a rail line. On January 13, 1832, the 50-mile long Tuscumbia, Courtland & Decatur railroad was chartered. Early trains were usually horse-drawn, although an English-made steam locomotive was acquired in 1834. Absorbed by the Memphis & Charleston line after 1850, the railway was largely destroyed during the Civil War. The rebuilt railroad became part of the Southern system in 1898.
 
Erected 1994 by the Courtland Historical Foundation and the Town of Courtland.
 
Location. 34° 39.968′ N, 87° 18.627′ W.
 
One of The South's First Railroads - Side B Photo, Click for full size
By Sandra Hughes, August 23, 2009
2. One of The South's First Railroads - Side B
 
Marker is in Courtland, Alabama, in Lawrence County. Marker is on College St.. Click for map. Located in front of Old Train Depot across train tracks, past Square Park in Courtland. Marker is at or near this postal address: 284 College St, Courtland AL 35618, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American Legion - Post 58 (a few steps from this marker); Courtland's Early Architecture (within shouting distance of this marker); The Red Rovers / Red Rovers Roster (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town of Courtland / Early Settlers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The African ~ American Experience (about 300 feet away); A Cotton Kingdom (about 300 feet away); Harris-Simpson Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); McMahon House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Courtland.
 
One of The South's First Railroads ~1832~ Photo, Click for full size
By Sandra Hughes, August 23, 2009
3. One of The South's First Railroads ~1832~
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on March 24, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 1,260 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 24, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 195 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.