Salado in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Salado
On May 25, 1864, eleven men and women organized the Salado Baptist Church of Christ in the chapel of Salado College. Charter members of this group, later renamed First Baptist Church of Salado, were James L. Smith, David Hair, Harvey Chamberlain, Nannie Reed, Nellie Wemott, Sarah Hanford, Rachel Austin, Eva Cockrill, Mary L. Cearnals, Nannie Wilkinson and Sallie Wilkinson. A training union for young people soon followed. There were 19 additional members by June 1864 and 111 members by 1877. A two-story church and Masonic hall on the north bank of Salado Creek near Main Street was erected in 1878 on land donated by Bell County pioneer and church member O. T. Tyler. Two years later, an ecumenical tabernacle was erected behind the church.
The Baptist congregation sent missionaries C. Z and Kate (Crawford) Taylor to Brazil in 1881. The Ladies' Aid Society, later the Women's Missionary Union and then the Women's Ministry, was organized in 1889. This work continued in the 20th century, marked by the beginning of the ministry to Mary Hardin-Baylor College
Erected 2000 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11723.)
Location. 30° 56.681′ N, 97° 32.252′ W. Marker is in Salado, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is on S. Main Street when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 S Main St, Salado TX 76571, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Louisa Adeline (Addie) Barton (here, next to this marker); The Davis Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of Orville Thomas Tyler (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Salado (about 500 feet away); Main Street Bridges (about 500 feet away); Salado Creek (about 500 feet away); Old Anderson Place (about 600 feet away); Armstrong-Adams House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Salado.
Also see . . . First Baptist Church of Salado. (Submitted on March 24, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,032 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 4. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.