Near Billings in Yellowstone County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
Along the Zimmerman Trail
The original Zimmerman Trail was built during the summers of 1890 and 1891 by the brothers Joseph and Frank Zimmerman, born in Fellering, (Alsace-Lorraine) Germany. Joseph immigrated to the United States in 1872; two years later, upon enlisting in the U.S. Cavalary, his duty brought him to Montana. In 1874, Frank followed his brother to Montana where he worked for the railroad until 1883. Frank briefly returned to Alsace-Lorraine, then came back to the United States in 1885 to farm in Flint, Michigan. In 1883, after leaving the army, Joseph started a clothing store in Billings, just one mile west of Coulson.
Several years later, he bought three sections of land west of Billings and started a sheep feeding business. His ranch was located both on the bottom and the top of the rimrocks. Because it required a 32-mile round trip from his home to Boot Hill Cemetery and back to a natural spring on Alkali Creek, Joseph sought a shorter route to move his bands of sheep from his homestead to the spring located atop the rimrocks. In 1890, Joseph brought his brother Frank back to Montana to manage his ranch and to help build the original Zimmerman Trail. Both brothers lived out their lives in the Billings area.
The original Zimmerman Trail passed 2-1/2 miles north of present-day
In 1938, the Rotary, Kiwanis, and Lions service clubs, and a campaign committee headed by Mearl L. Fagg, Grover C. Cisel, Frank G. Connelly, and Chandler C. Cohagen, donated the $750 required to purchase the tract of land (Zimmerman Park) and the right-of-way for the road down the rimrocks known as the "Zimmerman Trail." These properties were subsequently deeded to Yellowstone County.
Although completed in 1891, the original Zimmerman Trail was never used by common stagecoach carriers of that era. Is is speculated that the photograph shown below, which is the only known photograph of the original trail, is of dignitaries being given one of the few rides ever taken up the trail in a stagecoach.
A WPA allotment of $95,252 for equipment and labor was augmented by $23,388 from Yellowstone County for the construction and rerouting of the original Zimmerman Trail. This new trail would require over 150 men working nearly four months to complete the project. The current Zimmerman Trail was finally paved in the 1940s.
Frank Zimmerman 1858 - 1943.
Erected by Rotary Club, Kiwanis International, and Lions Club.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 45° 48.336′ N, 108° 36.29′ W. Marker is near Billings, Montana, in Yellowstone County. Marker is on U.S. 3 ¼ mile west of U.S. Highway 3 and Zimmerman Trail, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Hike improved path from parking lot about 200-feet to sign. Marker is in this post office area: Billings MT 59102, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Boothill Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away); The Place Where the White Horse Went Down (approx. 6 miles away).
More about this marker. Photo captions:
The original Zimmerman Trail, circa 1920s.
Workers building the new Trail, 1939.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Notable Persons • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,685 times since then and 247 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Rich Pfingsten of Forest Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.