Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of the Methodist Church

1789–1817

 
 
Site of the Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 30, 2002
1. Site of the Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. Francis Asbury, Father of American Methodism, founded a Methodist Society in Annapolis in 1777. They built a meeting house in 1785 within the present grounds of the Naval Academy. In 1789, the “Old Blue Church” moved to this site and house one of the earliest Methodist congregations in America. In 1818, they built a new church on State Circle at North Street where they worshipped for 155 years.
 
Erected 1987 by Calvary United Methodist Church.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
 
Location. 38° 58.759′ N, 76° 29.456′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of State Circle and North Street, in the median. Click for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Maryland State House. Marker is in this post office area: Annapolis MD 21401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); Matthew Alexander Henson (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Mary's City Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker);
Maryland State House image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 30, 2002
2. Maryland State House
The Maryland State House and many other markers are located on the grounds within State Circle.
Thurgood Marshall (within shouting distance of this marker); Roger Brooke Taney, 1777 - 1864 (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Treasury Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Maryland State House (within shouting distance of this marker); Dred Scott, 1700 - 1858 (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Annapolis.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial Era
 
Site of the Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, May 12, 2012
3. Site of the Methodist Church Marker
The Old Treasury Building is seen in the background.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,023 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.   3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement