Duluth in St. Louis County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Lewis G. Castle
The seaway, completed in 1959, represented decades of dreams, planning and work by men of the region. Prominent among these men was Lewis G. Castle of Duluth.
At this point, the Minnesota watershed flows into Lake Superior and the St. Lawrence Seaway begins. The first deep draft foreign flag vessel transited the seaway into the Duluth Harbor through this entry on May 3, 1959 and Duluth became a world seaport.
Presented by Duluth Chamber of Commerce
October 14, 1959
Erected 1959 by Duluth Chamber of Commerce.
Location. 46° 46.795′ N, 92° 5.496′ W. Marker is in Duluth, Minnesota, in St. Louis County. Marker can be reached from Canal Park Drive when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is east of the Lake Superior Maritime Visitor Center, near the north wall of the north breakwater pier, close to to the plaque of Edgar A. Culbertson. Marker is in this post office area: Duluth MN 55802, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edgar A. Culbertson (here, next to this marker); Dedicated to Davis Helberg (a few steps from this marker); United States Merchant Marine / U.S. Navy Armed Guard (a few steps from this marker); McDougall Patent Anchor (within shouting distance of this marker); Northwoods Sailors (within shouting distance of this marker); Capstan (within shouting distance of this marker); Modern Ship Anchor (within shouting distance of this marker); Canal (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Duluth.
Categories. • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,731 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.