King of Prussia in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Remembering Valley Forge
The People’s Park
—Valley Forge National Historical Park —
Preservation came about from citizen action and advocacy. Their common vision was the preservation of a significant place that had inspired the Continental Army, and that continued to inspire Americans a century later.
In 1879 a citizens’ group sold $1.00 shares to preserve the small house which General Washington had used as his headquarters. In 1893, in response to citizen concern about performance, the Pennsylvania legislature created a state park here, and began to purchase the land on which the soldiers had encamped.
The states represented at the 1777 encampment were invited to erect commemorative monuments. Individual organizations also honored their ancestors’ contributions. Here [in a photo at the bottom of the marker], the Daughters of the American Revolution dedicate a monument in 1911 to soldiers who died during the encampment.
To honor the history of the place, the state transformed the farming landscape into a stylized commemorative park
With a groundswell of support from citizen advocates, President Gerald Ford signed legislation making Valley Forge a national park at the Bicentennial of the Declaration of Independence, on July 4, 1976. The tradition of citizen stewardship continues today as volunteers and partners participate in the ongoing work of advocacy, preservation and interpretation.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 40° 6.137′ N, 75° 27.603′ W. Marker is in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Valley Forge Road (Pennsylvania Route 23), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is on the tour road in Valley Forge National Historical Park at stop 6, Washington’s Headquarters. Marker is in this post office area: King of Prussia PA 19406, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Commander in Chief’s Guards (within shouting distance of this marker); Did You Know? North of the River (about 400 feet away); War Comes to Valley Forge (about 400 feet away); Why Valley Forge? (about 400 feet away); Washington’s Headquarters (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Washington’s Headquarters (about 500 feet away); The Village of Valley Forge (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in King of Prussia.
More about this marker. The background of the marker contains a picture of a crowd at Valley Forge and has a caption of “Valley Forge was a popular place for patriotic outings and rallies as early as the 1820s. The 1877 Centennial celebration of the encampment attracted 40,000 people and was essential to building public support for preservation of Washington’s Headquarters. The spectacle was illustrated in the renowned Harper’s Weekly.” Four photographs appear along the bottom of the marker. These depict the Washington’s Headquarters house in the late 19th century, the DAR unveiling of a monument in 1911, a road in Valley Forge before
Also see . . . Valley Forge National Historical Park. National Park Service website. (Submitted on March 25, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Notable Places • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 707 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.