Near Marion in Marion County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Camp Marion, World War II Prisoners of War
1944 - 1946
This site was once a twenty-four acre camp for Prisoners of War established on the grounds of the Marion Engineer Depot. The Depot was a major supply and logistics site of the U.S. Army Engineers during World War II. The first contingent of POWs arrived in December 1944, consisting of two hundred and fifty men, many of them Germans who had served in the Afrika Korps Panzer Division. POWs served in many capacities during their time at Camp Marion. Some worked in construction, others cooked, cleaned, and performed maintenance and office tasks around the depot. Many worked on local farms, where farmers provided food to supplement their sometimes inadequate rations so that they would have energy to be able to work a full day. By 1946 five hundred Prisoners of War could be held at Camp Marion.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Camp Marion included housing, recreational areas, a canteen, and a small store where the POWs could buy items with coupons they received for their pay of eighty cents a day. They also had soccer teams, the POWs favorite sport. An arts and crafts center was provided for their use and some POWs made gifts for locals including oil paintings and jewelry boxes. The cultural exchanges that occurred were a positive experience for the Marion area.
Erected 2006 by Marion Industrial Center, Marion County Historical Society, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 14-51.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 36.497′ N, 83° 2.926′ W. Marker is near Marion, Ohio, in Marion County. Marker is on Harding Highway (Ohio Route 309), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at the Marion Industrial Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3007 Harding Highway East, Marion OH 43302, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Marion Engineer Depot (here, next to this marker); Claridon Prairie (approx. 1.3 miles away); World War II Displacement (approx. 1.4 miles away); Scioto Ordnance Plant Site (approx. Cummins Home (approx. 4.1 miles away); Home of Warren G. Harding (approx. 4.1 miles away but has been reported missing); Old Marion Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Marion County Courthouse (approx. 4.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Marion.
Also see . . .
1. River Valley High School, Marion. The school was built on part of the former Marion Engineer Depot/Scioto Ordnance Plant but was closed after an unusually high incidence of leukemia was reported among students/former students of the school. (Submitted on March 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Marion Industrial Center. (Submitted on March 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. Scioto Orndance Plant. Located adjacent to the Marion Engineer Depot. (Submitted on March 25, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Agriculture • Forts, Castles • Man-Made Features • Military • Notable Events • Peace • War, World II •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 2,176 times since then and 396 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.