HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Elkton in Rockingham County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Jennings House
Confederate Hospital
 
Jennings House Marker Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, September 25, 2007
1. Jennings House Marker
 
Inscription. 1862 & 1864 Valley Campaigns.
This eight-room brick dwelling was built in 1840 for Dr. Simeon B. Jennings, a former resident of Port Republic. At the time of the Civil War, it was one of only half a dozen houses located in the Conrad’s Store (present-day Elkton) community.

On the evening of April 19, 1862, Confederate Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s 6,000-man army marched by here and into a bivouac that stretched to Swift Run. After Jackson’s men departed on April 30, Gen. Richard S. Ewell’s division crossed through Swift Run Gap east of here and occupied the still-burning campsites for the next two weeks. According to Cpl. Randolph H. McKim, Co. H, 1st Maryland Infantry (C.S.A.), the monotony of camp life was “varied for some of us by visits to Doctor Jennings’, whose charming daughters [Ann, Elizabeth, Virginia, Marietta, Mary, and Malinda] greatly attracted us. ... There we had music and song and bright and merry converse, which speedily banished the memory of the hardships of the past two months.”

After the Battles of Cross Keys and Port Republic (June 8-9, 1862), Jennings and his wife Barbara ministered to dozens of wounded Confederate soldiers in their house. The more severely wounded soldiers are said to have been placed beneath this giant burr oak, where they were treated before being transferred
 
Jennings House and Marker Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, September 25, 2007
2. Jennings House and Marker
 
to hospitals.

In October 1864, during Union Gen. Philip H. Sheridan’s burning of the Shenandoah Valley, Jennings’ nearby flour mill was destroyed by fire.
 
Erected by Civil War Trails.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
 
Location. 38° 24.476′ N, 78° 37.286′ W. Marker is in Elkton, Virginia, in Rockingham County. Marker is on West Rockingham Street near West Spotswood Trail (Business U.S. 33), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elkton VA 22827, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Miller-Argabright-Cover-Kite House (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Settler (approx. 0.9 miles away); History of Verbena (approx. 4 miles away); Shield's Advance & Retreat (approx. 4 miles away); Shenandoah Iron Works (approx. 5.3 miles away); Alexander Spotswood Discovers the Valley of the Shenandoah (approx. 5.3 miles away); “Sic Juvat Transcendere Montes” (approx. 5.3 miles away); Knights of the Golden Horseshoe (approx. 5.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Elkton.
 
More about this marker. In the lower center the marker displays a portrait of Dr. Simeon B. Jennings.

On the upper right is a photo of a bleeder with leather covered case marked “KOLB.” It was used by Dr. Jennings in his practice — and is now on display at the Miller-Kite House Museum located on E. Rockingham St.

On the upper right is a photo of a the Philadelphia brass scales used by Dr. Jennings. They are also on display at the Miller-Kite House Museum.

On the right side is a map of the area described in the text. The map carries the caption, "After the Battles of Cross Keys and Port Republic, wounded soldiers of Jackson’s army were carried northward, along an old road which paralleled the South Fork of the Shenandoah River, to Dr. Jennings’ residence at Conrad’s Store (now Elton)."
 
“The Jennings House” Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, September 25, 2007
3. “The Jennings House”
“1825. Used as a hospital during the Civil War. This plaque erected by the Woman’s Club of Elkton during the Bicentennial Year 1976.”
 
 
Contemporary photo of the old Conrad's Store building Photo, Click for full size
By Robert H. Moore, II, circa 2002
4. Contemporary photo of the old Conrad's Store building
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 11, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,839 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 11, 2007, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   4. submitted on March 4, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 195 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.