Findlay in Hancock County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Glass Industry of Findlay, Ohio
In 1884, the first natural gas well was successfully drilled in Findlay, and when The Great Karg Well, then the largest in the world, was drilled in 1886, the boom was on. Many industries, especially glass, were attracted to Findlay, lured by free or cheap gas for fuel. They included eight window, two bottle, two chimney lamp, one light bulb, one novelty, and five tableware glass factories. Famed manufacturing pioneer and inventor Mike Owens (later associated with Owens Illinois) managed the Richardson Glass Works, located at this site in 1891-1892. Tableware glass companies included Bellaire Goblet (1888-1892), Columbia Glass (1886-1892), Dalzell, Gilmore & Leighton (1888-1901), Findlay Flint Glass (1889-1991), and Model Flint Glass (1888-1893). Tableware companies employed women as decorators and packers. Hundreds of skilled glassworkers came from the eastern states of America, as well as Europe, especially Belgium, France, and Germany. Bottle glassworkers were among the first workers to unionize and to use collective bargaining.
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, Longaberger Company, Historic Preservation Guild of Findlay-Hancock County, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 21-32.)
Marker series. This marker is Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 2.36′ N, 83° 38.534′ W. Marker is in Findlay, Ohio, in Hancock County. Marker is on Main Cross Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is about 200 feet west of Blanchard Street (Ohio Route 37). Marker is at or near this postal address: 445 E. Main Cross Street, Findlay OH 45840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First School Building (approx. ¼ mile away); The Underground Railroad in Hancock County (approx. 0.4 miles away); Outstanding New Building, 1978 - 1979 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Outstanding Renovated Building, 1980 - 1986 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hancock County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Veterans Memorial Flagpole (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Fort Findlay (approx. 0.4 miles away); Hancock County Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Findlay.
Also see . . .
1. Michael J. Owens. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. The Findlay Glass Companies. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. The History of Findlay Glass. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Labor Unions • Natural Resources • Notable Events •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 1,817 times since then and 125 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.