Findlay in Hancock County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Findlay College was a joint venture of the Churches of God, General Conference, and the Village of Findlay. It was chartered on January 28, 1882, to provide a liberal arts education within a Christian context for all -- regardless of race or sex. Old Main was constructed between 1883 and 1886 at a cost of $51,662.95. It was 171 by 107 feet, one of the largest college buildings in the state, and the only one heated by natural gas. The cornerstone was laid on May 25, 1884.
Classes began on September 1, 1886. There were 170 students and 10 faculty members the first year. The first commencement was held in June, 1889, with two students, Flora Kimmel and J. P. Shelley receiving degrees. The first president of the College was John Roland Harris Latchaw, 1884 - 1893. Charles Trout Fox was the first dean, 1886 - 1929. Winebrenner Theological Seminary, until 1961 known as Winebrenner Graduate School of Divinity, was established in 1942.
Erected 1982 by Historic Preservation Guild of Hancock County, Findlay College Centennial Commission, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 9-32.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 N. Main Street, Findlay OH 45840, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The University of Findlay (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Great Karg Gas Well January 20 1886 (approx. 0.8 miles away); Veterans Memorial Flagpole (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of Fort Findlay (approx. 0.9 miles away); Outstanding Renovated Building, 1980 - 1986 (approx. one mile away); The Ohio Oil Co - Marathon Oil Co / Gas Boom Era (approx. one mile away); Hancock County Veterans Memorial (approx. one mile away); Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Findlay.
Also see . . . History of the University of Findlay. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 591 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.