Near Bowling Green in Wood County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Wood County Inﬁrmary
1869 - 1971
The Infirmary, also known as the poorhouse or simply "The Home," is one of the last county poorhouse sites in Ohio where nearly all of the original structures still stand. The main building, constructed in 1868 with outbuildings added over the years, served as home for the county's poor, sick, orphaned, elderly, and mentally ill. The Lunatic House was added in 1885 as a facility for the violently insane. The Infirmary operated as a self-sufficient farm where residents contributed according to their ability. Throughout its 102 years of service, the Infirmary had an average population of eighty residents, swelling to over 140 during the Great Depression of the 1930s. The site closed as a poorhouse in 1971 but reopened in 1975 as the Wood County Historical Center and Museum. The Wood County Infirmary was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Erected 2000 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Wood County Historical Center and Museum, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 11-87.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 21.05′ N, 83° 36.988′ W. Click for map. Marker is on the Infirmary grounds, between the main building and the parking lot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13660 County Home Road (Township Road 172), Bowling Green OH 43403, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lunatic House 1885 (within shouting distance of this marker); Ridge School 1886-2013 (approx. 2.5 miles away); Portage Stockade (approx. 2.7 miles away but has been reported missing); First Seventh-Day Adventist Church (approx. 4.5 miles away); In Memory of Captain Elihu H. Mason (approx. 7.2 miles away); Custer Homestead (approx. 8 miles away); Wood County's First Masonic Lodge (approx. 8.7 miles away); Lieut. Wilson W. Brown (approx. 9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bowling Green.
Also see . . . Wood County Historical Center & Museum. (Submitted on March 27, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Charity & Public Work • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 735 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.