“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Salado in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Dodd's Creek Bridge

Dodd's Creek Bridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, February 2, 2008
1. Dodd's Creek Bridge Marker
Inscription. One of many patented truss designs developed by American inventors and engineers in the mid- to late-19th century, this 87-foot lenticular truss bridge represents an unusual truss type in the United States. The lenticular design features a curved top and bottom chord which forms a lens shape. The patent, issued to William O. Douglas of Connecticut in 1878, was the only one given for a lenticular truss bridge in the United States. Most were constructed in the New England area and in New York state. Through the efforts of William Payson, a salesman for Douglas' Berlin Iron Bridge Company, Texas acquired at least a dozen truss bridges in the late 19th century.

The Coryell County Commissioners Court contracted with the Berlin Iron Bridge Company to build four lenticular truss bridges for $16,500 in 1889. This bridge originally was located across Cowhouse Creek and later was moved to Dodd's Creek.

In 1990 the Texas Historical Commission and the Texas Department of Transportation identified eight lenticular truss bridges surviving in Texas. Four of the spans were located in San Antonio; the other four were positioned on out-of-service roadways. The only examples of this rare bridge type west of the Mississippi, they are recognized as historically significant engineering structures. The Society for Industrial Archeology and
Dodd's Creek Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, February 2, 2008
2. Dodd's Creek Bridge
Historic American Engineering Record, a branch of the National Park Service, also have recognized the importance of the Texas lenticular bridges as products of a short-lived but important period of bridge technology in 19th century engineering history. The Dodd's Creek bridge was moved to this site in 1997 to improve the flow of traffic, protect pedestrians and enhance the Salado Historic District.
Erected 2000 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11722.)
Location. 30° 56.873′ N, 97° 32.204′ W. Marker is in Salado, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is on N Main St, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salado TX 76571, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home of Wellborn Barton (a few steps from this marker); Norton-Orgain House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Armstrong-Adams House (about 400 feet away); Old Anderson Place (about 600 feet away); Salado Church of Christ (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home of Orville Thomas Tyler (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Salado (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Davis Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Salado.
Categories. Bridges & Viaducts
Billy Goat Gruff Statue image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, February 2, 2008
3. Billy Goat Gruff Statue
Placed on south side of bridge.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,306 times since then and 96 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement