Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Salado in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Salado Church of Christ

 
 
Salado Church of Christ Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, February 2, 2008
1. Salado Church of Christ Marker
Inscription. Founded in March 1859, this congregation first met in a brush arbor on the north bank of Salado Creek. The first two elders were James Anderson and J.W. Vickrey, both of whom were instrumental in the organization of Salado College. A frame sanctuary, erected on North Main Street in 1875, was destroyed by fire in 1908. A second frame structure served the congregation until 1961, when it was replaced by a brick sanctuary. A new building was erected in 1988. This church has served the people of Salado for over a century.
 
Erected 1988 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4492.)
 
Location. 30° 56.999′ N, 97° 32.243′ W. Marker is in Salado, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is on Stagecoach Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 217 Stagecoach Rd, Salado TX 76571, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dodd's Creek Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home of Wellborn Barton (approx. 0.2 miles away); M. H. Denman Cabin (approx. 0.2 miles away); Norton-Orgain House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Armstrong-Adams House
Salado Church of Christ image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, February 2, 2008
2. Salado Church of Christ
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Anderson Place (approx. mile away); Home of Orville Thomas Tyler (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Salado (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Salado.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 684 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement