Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Kent in New Kent County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

A Tale of Three Structures

 
 
A Tale of Three Structures Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2010
1. A Tale of Three Structures Marker
Inscription. The core of the main house was built on a half-acre lot about 1810. Nearly doubled in size about 1837, the house underwent further alterations between the 1870s and 1901, by which time it was re-oriented to face the road rather than the courthouse complex.

A second half-acre lot was added about 1823-24 and two more acres about 1848. The log kitchen—later covered with siding— may date as early as 1837, but probably is from the 1850s. The frame smokehouse may also be from the 1850s.

The size of the kitchen and its rare surviving smoke hood suggest that they were used for smoking meat, perhaps on a commercial scale. The smokehouse building may have been only for curing or storage, while meat continued to be smoke-fired in the log kitchen. Or, the later addition of a chimney and fireplace to the kitchen building could mean that the smoke hood was abandoned, prompting construction of a separate smokehouse.

In either case, when stoves replaced fireplace cooking, the kitchen building took on other functions, briefly serving as a school, and later as a separate home called “The Cottage.”
 
Erected by New Kent Courthouse Village, LLC.
 
Location. 37° 31.007′ N, 76° 58.761′ 
The log kitchen (front view) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2010
2. The log kitchen (front view)
W. Marker is in New Kent, Virginia, in New Kent County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of New Kent Highway (Virginia Route 249) and Court House Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11861 New Kent Highway, New Kent VA 23124, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Wilson House: Witness to Three Centuries (within shouting distance of this marker); Martha Washington's Birthplace (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Parke Custis (about 400 feet away); James Lafayette (about 500 feet away); New Kent Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Harold J. Neale (approx. 3.7 miles away); a different marker also named Harold J. Neale (approx. 3.8 miles away); Stuart's Ride (approx. 5.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in New Kent.
 
More about this marker. On the lower right is a photo of "The Cottage" before restoration.
 
Regarding A Tale of Three Structures. This 19th century log kitchen and smokehouse have been restored as part of Preservation Park, a new development at New Kent's county seat which adapts historic structures for current use. The unique fireplace in the log kitchen is the only existing structure of its kind in the U.S.
 
Also see . . .
The smokehouse (rear view) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2010
3. The smokehouse (rear view)
 Preservation Park, New Kent Courthouse Village. (Submitted on March 30, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
The Cottage (interior) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, March 29, 2010
4. The Cottage (interior)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 643 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement