Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Salado in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Major A.J. Rose House

 
 
The Major A.J. Rose House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, February 2, 2008
1. The Major A.J. Rose House Marker
Inscription. Built in 1870-72, this structure typifies the Greek Revival style with its symmetrical facade. The residence was constructed for former Confederate officer Archibald Johnson Rose (1830-1903) and his large family. A prosperous farmer, Rose participated in state and community activities. He was a leader in the Grange movement and in efforts to improve the quality of education. Members of the Rose family owned this house for over 100 years.
 
Erected 1979 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4349.)
 
Location. 30° 56.434′ N, 97° 31.786′ W. Marker is in Salado, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is on Rose Way Circle, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salado TX 76571, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Major Archibald Johnson Rose (here, next to this marker); Salado United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Washington Baines House (approx. mile away); Hermon and Margaret L. Aiken (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dr. Welborn Barton and Louisa Adeline Barton
The Major A.J. Rose House image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, February 2, 2008
2. The Major A.J. Rose House
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Capt. Milton Wesley Damron (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Rev. James E. and Fannie F. Ferguson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Robert Bonner Halley (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Salado.
 
Regarding The Major A.J. Rose House. Entered in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 815 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement