Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kingman in Mohave County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Desert Power & Water Co.

1907-1911

 
 
Desert Power & Water Co. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 17, 2010
1. Desert Power & Water Co. Marker
Inscription.
Among largest steam generating
plants of its time on
Pacific Coast

National Register of Historic Places

 
Erected 2003 by Heritage Crossroads.
 
Location. 35° 11.339′ N, 114° 3.501′ W. Marker is in Kingman, Arizona, in Mohave County. Marker can be reached from Andy Devine Avenue (Business Interstate 40). Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 West Andy Devine Avenue, Kingman AZ 86401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Santa Fe Locomotive No. 3759 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kingman Veteran's Memorial (about 600 feet away); Wagon Route (about 700 feet away); United States Army (about 700 feet away); Lt. Edward Fitzgerald Beale (about 700 feet away); Charles Metcalfe Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hotel Brunswick (approx. mile away); Little Red Schoolhouse (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Kingman.
 
Regarding Desert Power & Water Co.. This building is now the Kingman Tourism & Visitors Bureau.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
Desert Power & Water Co. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 17, 2010
2. Desert Power & Water Co. Marker
Desert Power & Water Co. image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 17, 2010
3. Desert Power & Water Co.
Route 66 Roadside Attraction image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, March 17, 2010
4. Route 66 Roadside Attraction

The Powerhouse, Kingman, Arizona
Built of reinforced concrete, electricity generation began 90 years ago with operations continuing to 1938. After serving as a substation and later a recycling center, it was renovated to its current use and condition in 1997 by the “Powerhouse Gang.”

Recognized by Hampton Hotels Save-A-Landmark program as a site worth seeing.

This sign is located just to the left of the entrance to the Desert Power & Water Co.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 896 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement