Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Nacogdoches Federal Building / Post Office

 
 
Nacogdoches Federal Building / Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, January 25, 2010
1. Nacogdoches Federal Building / Post Office Marker
Inscription. Designed by U.S. Treasury Department architect James A. Wetmore, this building was erected in 1917-1918 and housed the main city post office until 1964. Sold to the city in 1973, it was the public library until 1997, when it became a tourist information center. Its central location on a prominent site in the center of the town square is somewhat unusual for buildings of this type. A good example of a simplified Beaux Arts / Classical Revival post office, the structure features brick construction, a symmetrical facade with central entry bay, classical Pallidian-type windows, simplified cast stone base and entablature.
 
Erected 1999. (Marker Number 12101.)
 
Location. 31° 36.19′ N, 94° 39.306′ W. Marker is in Nacogdoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. Marker is on Main Street near Pecan Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. The marker is mounted on the building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 240 E. Main Street, Nacogdoches TX 75961, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Nacogdoches (within shouting distance of this marker); The Fredonia Rebellion (within shouting distance of this marker); Texas Stagecoaches, C.S.A.
Nacogdoches Federal Building / Post Office image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, January 25, 2010
2. Nacogdoches Federal Building / Post Office
(within shouting distance of this marker); Gladys Hampton Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Ingraham Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Homesite of John S. Roberts (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Battle of Nacogdoches (about 300 feet away); Chas. Hoya Land Office (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Nacogdoches.
 
Categories. GovernmentNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 706 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement