Sumter in Sumter County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
A boarding school for girls located on the northeast corner of Washington and Calhoun Sts. Founded by Laura Fraser Browne and Eliza E. Cooper in 1867. Incorporated in 1888. H. Frank Wilson, president, 1892- 96.
This school inspired Sumter's revival from war's desolation. Beginning as a one-room day school, it became a girls' boarding academy, ranking high among South Carolina educational institutions, a center of the social, spiritual, and cultural life of the community during Reconstruction days.
Erected 1958 by Front side Sponsored by Sumter Institute Alumnae Association , Reverse side The Sumter County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 43-13.)
Location. 33° 55.538′ N, 80° 20.645′ W. Marker is in Sumter, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is on North Washington Street (U.S. 76), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Located between West Calhoun Street (US 401) and Warren Street. Marker is in this post office area: Sumter SC 29150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Tuomey Hospital (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Military Post / Potter's Raid (approx. Elizabeth White House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Henry L. Scarborough House (approx. ¼ mile away); General Thomas Sumter 1734 -1832 (approx. ¼ mile away); Potter's Headquarters / Federal Order Of Battle (approx. ¼ mile away); Sumter World War II Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); Sumter's Court Houses (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sumter.
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 545 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.