Goose Creek in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. James, Goose Creek
St. James, Goose Creek was one of the first Anglican parishes in the lowcountry, created by the Church Act of 1706. The first church here , built in 1707, was a frame building. This Georgian brick church, covered in stucco, was completed in 1719. Described in 1855 as “a romantically situated ancient church,” it was restored after the Charleston Earthquake of 1886, in 1907, and in 1955.
Exterior features include a hipped roof and a pediment with a relief of a pelican feeding her young, symbol of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, which sent missionaries here from London. Interior features include a tall pulpit, the Royal arms of George I, and a hatchment, or arms, of the Izard family. This church was designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1970.
Erected 2007 by the Vestry of the St. James, Goose Creek Church. (Marker Number 8-47.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 32° 58.545′ N, 80° 1.983′ W. Marker is in Goose Creek, South Carolina, in Berkeley County. Marker is on Vestry Lane west of Snake River Road (South Carolina Road S-8-208 Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Goose Creek SC 29445, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Goose Creek Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Yamasee War At Goose Creek, 1715 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Goose Creek Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall Elementary School (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Oaks (approx. 0.6 miles away); Otranto Plantation (approx. 0.9 miles away); Boochawee Hall (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Elms Plantation (approx. 1.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Goose Creek.
Also see . . . National Historic Landmarks Program entry for St. James Church, Goose Creek. (Submitted on December 18, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.)
1. National Register of Historic Places:
St. James' Church, Goose Creek *** (added 1970 - Building - #70000566)
• Period of Significance: 1700-1749
— Submitted January 21, 2011.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,674 times since then and 125 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.