Goose Creek in Berkeley County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Goose Creek Bridge
The first bridge here, in use by 1680, had a raised road at either end and was built from split logs with the flat sides up, covered by sand or clay. Traffic over Goose Creek increased significantly after St. James, Goose Creek Church was built 200 yds. S in 1714-19. By the 1750s the bridge had to be replaced every few years. In 1780 British troops occupying The Oaks Plantation nearby guarded the bridge, a strategic point on the road to and from Charleston.
Erected 2008 by the City of Goose Creek. (Marker Number 8-59.)
Location. 32° 58.85′ N, 80° 1.961′ W. Marker is in Goose Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Goose Creek SC 29445, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Goose Creek Church (approx. ¼ mile away); The Oaks (approx. ¼ mile away); Howe Hall Plantation / Howe Hall Elementary School (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. James, Goose Creek (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Yamasee War At Goose Creek, 1715 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Boochawee Hall (approx. 1.1 miles away); Otranto Plantation (approx. 1.2 miles away); Goose Creek / City of Goose Creek (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Goose Creek.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,451 times since then and 98 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.