Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Walter and Mae Simms House

 
 
Walter and Mae Simms House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, April 4, 2010
1. Walter and Mae Simms House Marker
Inscription. Austin architect Roger Q. Small designed this unique 1935 home for Walter and Mae (Moore) Simms, who established Simms Fish Market in 1915 and delivered Gulf Coast seafood to hotels and restaurants throughout central Texas for nearly forty years. The simplified Classical Revival style house is a side-gabled rectangular plan residence set into a sloping lot, with Butler brick walls and large multi-light windows. Below the house is an integrated five-bay garage, framed by a rough-cut limestone façade. This incorporation of a garage into the house’s main structure did not become common until after World War II, reflecting the rising influence of automobiles on architecture and urban planning during the early 20th century.
 
Erected 2008 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14486.)
 
Location. 30° 14.466′ N, 97° 44.63′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is on Mariposa Drive, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 906 Mariposa Dr, Austin TX 78704, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Reuter House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Texas Dental Association
Walter and Mae Simms House image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, April 4, 2010
2. Walter and Mae Simms House
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Walter Tips House (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Academy (approx. ¾ mile away); Texas School for the Deaf (approx. one mile away); Saint Edward’s University Main Building (approx. one mile away); Approximate Site Reached By the Espinosa-Olivares-Aguirre Expedition (approx. one mile away); Green Pastures (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Austin.
 
Regarding Walter and Mae Simms House. Listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 777 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 7, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement