Richmond Hill in Bryan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The fort was named in honor of John, Duke of Argyle, friend and patron of James Edward Oglethorpe, and was garrisoned by Captain McPherson with a detachment of Rangers.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 015-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 58.357′ N, 81° 22.603′ W. Marker is in Richmond Hill, Georgia, in Bryan County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 144 and State Road 67, on the left when traveling south on U.S. 144. Click for map. Located within Fort Stewart Military Installation. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond Hill GA 31324, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hazen's Division at the Canoochee River (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort McAllister (approx. 4.1 miles away); "Dead Town" of Hardwicke Courthouse Annex (approx. 4.2 miles away); Ways Station (approx. 4.4 miles away); Henry Ford at Richmond Hill (approx. 4.5 miles away); J. F. Gregory (approx. 4.5 miles away); Robert E. Lee (approx. 4.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Richmond Hill.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,532 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.