Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kennard in Houston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Baptist Church of Kennard

 
 
First Baptist Church of Kennard Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, March 28, 2010
1. First Baptist Church of Kennard Marker
Inscription. In October 1903, approximately fourteen men and women organized the First Baptist Church of Kenard. The congregation selected four trustees: Dr. T.M. Sherman, George W. Willis, M.B. Matchett and Hugh P. English, who served the church in many capacities throughout his life. On October 23, the trustees purchased land upon which to build a one-room structure to be used as a place of worship.

Kennard's First Baptist congregation held church services once or twice a month for several years, utilizing shared or traveling pastors. Members called the Rev. W.P. Lott in 1945. He served as the church's first full-time pastor but soon split his time between the Kennard congregation and one in nearby Ratcliff. During his years in Kennard, Lott's wife organized a Women's Missionary Union for the congregation.

Over the years, the congregation has constructed new facilities and provided parsonage housing for its ministers. Throughout the 1960s, the church took an active role in campaigning against the sale of liquor and pari-mutuel horseracing. It maintained an active community presence in the 197

As the congregation approached its centennial year, it continued to grow, strengthening its music and youth programs and creating a college scholarship fund. First Baptist Church remains an important religious institution in
First Baptist Church of Kennard Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, March 28, 2010
2. First Baptist Church of Kennard Marker
the community of Kennard.
 
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13468.)
 
Location. 31° 21.576′ N, 95° 10.932′ W. Marker is in Kennard, Texas, in Houston County. Marker is on Carson Street near Farm to Market 357 (Texas Route 7), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Carson Street, Kennard TX 75847, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kennard (within shouting distance of this marker); Former Rosenwald School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Community of Coltharp (approx. 1.3 miles away); Hagerville Community (approx. 1.3 miles away); Four C Mill (approx. 2.8 miles away); Ratcliff (approx. 3.3 miles away); Ratcliff CCC Camp (approx. 3.5 miles away); The Joseph R. Rice Log Cabin (approx. 13 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Kennard.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 740 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement