Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Findlay in Hancock County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Riverside Park / Old Mill Stream

 
 
Riverside Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, April 5, 2010
1. Riverside Park Marker
Inscription. [West Side of Marker] : "Riverside Park"
One of the earliest and largest amusement parks in Northwest Ohio dedicated in 1906 on site of old waterworks. Trains brought visitors from as far away as Cleveland. 1907: Dance Pavilion and 2,000 seat auditorium built. 1908: Bathing beach made in old reservoir. 1925: Green Mill Dance Hall built on side near dam. Big name bands highlight entertainment. 1936: Shelters, band shell, and pool bath house made from bricks of old waterworks. 1978: Renovation of waterfront begins new era.

[East Side of Marker] :"Old Mill Stream"
Blanchard River Valley was home for Findlay native Tell Taylor who wrote ballad "Down by the Old Mill Stream" in 1908. Settlers established many saw and grist mills. 1881: Findlay Ice Company cuts 3,000 tons of river ice which is stored in two ice houses. 1888: Construction begins on Riverside dam, reservoir, and waterworks east of Findlay. 1905: Seven foot dam built near (Liberty Street) to elevate water level for boating. 1907: Seventy foot, 250-passenger steamer makes first trip from Main Street to Riverside Park. 1980: Old Mill Stream Parkway dedicated.
 
Erected 1987 by Historic Preservation Guild of Hancock County, Hancock Park District, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker
Old Mill Stream Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, April 5, 2010
2. Old Mill Stream Marker
Number #15-32.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 2.552′ N, 83° 37.916′ W. Marker is in Findlay, Ohio, in Hancock County. Marker is at the intersection of Clinton Court and McManness Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Clinton Court. Click for map. This historical marker is located on the north side of the Blanchard River, in Riverside Park, just outside of the southwest corner of the park's swimming pool enclosure, just inside the entrance to the parking lot of the Riverside Landings Park. Marker is in this post office area: Findlay OH 45840, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hull's Army (within shouting distance of this marker); Oesterlen Well Site / Old Mill Stream Fairgrounds (approx. half a mile away); The Glass Industry of Findlay, Ohio (approx. 0.6 miles away); First School Building (approx. 0.8 miles away); Veterans Memorial Flagpole (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of Fort Findlay (approx. one mile away); Outstanding New Building, 1978 - 1979 (approx. one mile away); The Underground Railroad in Hancock County (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Findlay.
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
Riverside Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, April 5, 2010
3. Riverside Park Marker
View of historical marker in the right foreground with a view of a walkway that leads into the interior of Riverside Park in the left background.
Old Mill Stream Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, April 5, 2010
4. Old Mill Stream Marker
View of the historical marker in the right foreground with a view of the Riverside Landing parking lot in the background and the bridge over the Blanchard River just beyond that.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,298 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement