Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Port Washington in Tuscarawas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Salem Mission

 
 
The Salem Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 8, 2006
1. The Salem Mission Marker
Inscription. Here, on April 6, 1780 during the American Revolutionary War, a contingent of Delaware Christian Indians, led by John Heckwelder, an assistant to Moravian missionary David Zeisberger, founded the last of five missions to occupy the Tuscarawas Valley between May 3, 1772 and September 8, 1781. The mission was located immediately adjacent to the west bank of the Tuscarawas River. Eighteen months later, British led Indian soldiers forcibly removed to the Upper Sandusky region all 400 of the Indian converts then living in the Tuscarawas Valley at the New Schoenbrunn, Gnadenhutten, and Salem missions. Seventeen years later, Zeisberger returned to the Tuscarawas Valley and founded his last mission at Goshen on October 4, 1798.

John Gottlieb Ernestus Heckwelder 1743–1823. Born in Bedford, England, March 12, 1743, Heckwelder immigrated to America with his mother and father at the age of eleven. In 1762, at the age of nineteen, he accompanied Christian Frederick Post to the Tuscarawas Valley in an aborted attempt to found an Indian mission among the Delaware. Their efforts were interrupted by the Pontiac uprising and Heckwelder barely escaped death from hostile Indians opposed to the project. At the request of David Zeisberger in 1771 Heckwelder entered the missionary service, was ordained in 1778, and served until 1786.
The Salem Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 8, 2006
2. The Salem Mission Marker
In 1788 he was appointed the agent in Ohio for the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel and served until 1810. In 1798 he cooperated with Zeisberger at the Goshen mission and founded the white settlement of Gnadenhutten.
 
Erected 1993 by Tuscarawas County Historical Society and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 2-79.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 18.399′ N, 81° 32.231′ W. Marker is near Port Washington, Ohio, in Tuscarawas County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 36 and Salem Park Road (Local Route 213), on the left on U.S. 36. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Washington OH 43837, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Denton "Cy" Young (approx. 3.8 miles away); Newcomerstown Desert Storm Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away); Cy Young (approx. 3.8 miles away); Newcomerstown Korean War Memorial (approx. 4.2 miles away); Gnadenhutten / The Gnadenhutten Massacre, "A Day of Shame" (approx. 6.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Thirty Thousand Miles With John Heckewelder. Book by John Gottlieb Ernestus Heckewelder and Paul A. W. Wallace on Amazon.com (Submitted on April 23, 2006.) 

2. An Account of the History, Manners and Customs of the Indian Nations Who Once Inhabited Pennsylvania. Book by John Gottlieb Ernestus Heckewelder on Amazon.com (Submitted on April 23, 2006.) 

3. The Tuscarawas Valley in Indian Days 1750-1797: Original Journals and Old Maps. Book by Russell H. Booth on Amazon.com (Submitted on April 23, 2006.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
The Salem Mission Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 8, 2006
3. The Salem Mission Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,573 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement