Near Yorktown in York County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
York County / Warwick County
Warwick County. Area 69 square miles. One of the original shires formed in 1634, it was given the name of Warwick River. The river itself was named for the Earl of Warwick.
Erected 1946 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number Z-265.)
Location. 37° 6.095′ N, 76° 27.479′ W. Marker is near Yorktown, Virginia, in York County. Marker is on George Washington Memorial Highway (U.S. 17) south of Commerce Circle, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Yorktown VA 23693, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Charles Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Big Bethel Church and Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Battle of Big Bethel Union Monument (approx. 1.9 miles away); Big Bethel UDC Monument Battle of Big Bethel (approx. 1.9 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Big Bethel (approx. 1.9 miles away); Henry Lawson Wyatt (approx. 1.9 miles away); Denbigh Parish (approx. 2.9 miles away).
Regarding York County / Warwick County. Warwick County is an extinct Virginia county. Originally Warwick River Shire in colonial times, it lost a significant portion of its territory with the creation of the independent city of Newport News in 1896, ceeded 4 square miles to York County in 1949, became the independent City of Warwick in 1952, and was consolidated into Newport News in 1958.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,168 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.