Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near White Marsh in Gloucester County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Abingdon Church

 
 
Abingdon Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Kevin W., July 21, 2010
1. Abingdon Church Marker
Inscription. This is the Third Church of Abingdon Parish and was erected in 1755 on the site of an earlier one. The parish, established between 1650 and 1655, had its first church near the river.
 
Erected 1935 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number NW 5.)
 
Location. 37° 20.015′ N, 76° 30.878′ W. Marker is near White Marsh, Virginia, in Gloucester County. Marker is on George Washington Memorial Highway (U.S. 17) north of Mid County Lane, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hayes VA 23072, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Warner Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Woodville School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rosewell (approx. 0.9 miles away); Fairfield (approx. 0.9 miles away); Rosewell and Werowocomoco (approx. 0.9 miles away); Dr. Walter Reedís Birthplace (approx. 0.9 miles away); Robert Russa Moton (approx. 0.9 miles away); United Negro College Fund (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in White Marsh.
 
Also see . . .  Abingdon Church. (PDF) Documentation for National Register of Historic Places nomination. (Submitted on October 17, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Abingdon Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Laura Troy, October 13, 2007
2. Abingdon Church Marker
West face of Abingdon Church Photo, Click for full size
By Laura Troy, October 13, 2007
3. West face of Abingdon Church
East face of Abingdon Church Photo, Click for full size
By Kevin W., July 21, 2010
4. East face of Abingdon Church
Note the brick stile providing access into the church yard.
North face of Abingdon Church Photo, Click for full size
By Kevin W., July 21, 2010
5. North face of Abingdon Church
The cemetery includes graves ranging over the centuries.
South face of Abingdon Church Photo, Click for full size
By Kevin W., July 21, 2010
6. South face of Abingdon Church
Small brick marker in the church yard Photo, Click for full size
By Kevin W., July 21, 2010
7. Small brick marker in the church yard
Site
of
First Brick Church
Serving Abingdon Parish
c. 1655 - 1755
On the back of this marker is a small plaque that reads:
Given in loving memory of Dr. George Upshur Carneal of Eagle Point by his wife Florence, 1966.
Burwell Tombs within the churchyard Photo, Click for full size
By Kevin W., July 21, 2010
8. Burwell Tombs within the churchyard
"These tombs and the remains of the Burwells were removed in 1911 from the family graveyard at Carters Creek to this place."
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,532 times since then. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   2, 3. submitted on , by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia.   4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement