Tuscaloosa in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
University of Alabama
Ordained by State constitution 1819
And established by
General Assembly 1820
Instruction Begun 1831
Unofficial Training School
Confederate Officers 1861-65
Destroyed by Federal Army
April 4, 1865, Rebuilding Begun 1867
and Reopened 1868.
Erected 1985 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 33° 12.603′ N, 87° 32.779′ W. Marker is in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in Tuscaloosa County. Marker can be reached from University Boulevard west of 6th Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is located next to Denny Chimes on the Campus of the University of Alabama. Marker is in this post office area: Tuscaloosa AL 35487, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Denny Chimes (a few steps from this marker); The President's Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); University of Alabama Civil War Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rotunda Plaza (about 500 feet away); Shockly’s Escort Company Of Cavalry (about 600 feet away); Storrs Cadet Troop Amelia Gayle Gorgas (about 600 feet away); Site Of Franklin Hall (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Tuscaloosa.
Also see . . . History of University of Alabama. (Submitted on April 8, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Categories. • Education • Government • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 989 times since then and 88 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 30, 2016.