Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Germantown in Montgomery County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Village of Germantown

 
 
The Village of Germantown Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
1. The Village of Germantown Marker
Inscription.
On October 4th, 1814, a clerk dipped his pen into an inkstand, and made a boldly scripted entry in the Records of Montgomery County.

His entry showed that one Philip Gunckel had filed a plat plan for the Village of Germantown.

It was a unique design, laid off in eight blocks which were twenty perches (330 feet) square, running from Mulberry Street to Walnut Street, and from Market Street to Back (Warren) Street.

Each block was divided by a diagonal alley system, the hub of which was a central open space some 66 feet square.

While the clerk failed to set down Philip Gunckel's rationale for the plan, it seems clear that the village's precise and methodical German settlers wanted their building fronts close to uncluttered streets, with buggies parked and horses stables in the rear. The central square not only served as a turn-around space, but also as a beckoning place where children gathered to play.
 
Erected 2004 by The Historical Society of Germantown.
 
Location. 39° 37.487′ N, 84° 22.251′ W. Marker is in Germantown, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Market Street (Ohio Route 725), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is adjacent to the Bicentennial
The Village of Germantown Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
2. The Village of Germantown Marker
Bicentennial Clock in center, with Florentine Hotel in background right.
Clock, just east of the Florentine Hotel, and about 100 feet west of the intersection of Market and Main Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 21 W. Market Street, Germantown OH 45327, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Germantown Veterans Memorial (approx. mile away); Shuey Mill (approx. mile away); Germantown Covered Bridge (approx. 0.3 miles away); Germantown Dam (approx. 1.9 miles away); Heritage Village (approx. 4.4 miles away); Farmersville Fire Department Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Mackinaw Historic District (approx. 5.4 miles away); Farmersville War Memorial (approx. 5.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Germantown.
 
Also see . . .  Tour of Historic Germantown. (Submitted on April 9, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesNotable PersonsSettlements & Settlers
 
The Village of Germantown Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
3. The Village of Germantown Marker
To left rear of Bicentennial Clock.
Florentine Hotel image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
4. Florentine Hotel
Original section built 1816 and owned by Philip Gunckel. Hosted Senator Henry Clay, among other notables. Now (2010) only serves as a restaurant.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 524 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement