Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Paradise in Butte County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Old Paradise Depot

 
 
Old Paradise Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 8, 2010
1. Old Paradise Depot Marker
Inscription. Constructed in 1903, this depot is one of three maintained along the Butte County Railroad, a 31 mile line from Chico to Stirling City, completed by Diamond Match Co. in 1904. The railroad was later acquired by Southern Pacific and operated as a spur until the rails were removed in 1979. Prior to construction of the depot, “Old” Paradise was located near Leonardís Mill at the intersection of Clark and Elliot Rds. With the coming of iron rails the “New Town” of Paradise began to grow and today is one of Butte Countyís three largest cities.
California Point of Historical Interest No. But.011
Dedicated April 24, 1982

 
Erected 1982 by Pair-O-Dice Chapter 7-11, E Clampus Vitus, Centennial Chapter No. 295, Native Daughters of the Golden West and Paradise Visitors Bureau. (Marker Number Butte 011.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 39° 45.178′ N, 121° 37.436′ W. Marker is in Paradise, California, in Butte County. Marker is on Black Olive Drive north of Pearson Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. The marker faces Black Olive Drive in front of
Old Paradise Depot and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 8, 2010
2. Old Paradise Depot and Marker
the Depot. Marker is at or near this postal address: 502 Pearson Road, Paradise CA 95969, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. PFC. Steven J. Walberg-Riotto (within shouting distance of this marker); Paradise Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Town of Paradise Memorial Trailway (within shouting distance of this marker); Paradise Pioneers (approx. half a mile away); Old Paradise (approx. one mile away); Centerville School (approx. 3 miles away); Centerville Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Dogtown Nugget (approx. 4.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Paradise.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Gold Nugget Museum. The depot now houses the Paradise Railroad Museum which opened in 2007. (Submitted on April 10, 2010.) 

2. The Butte County Railroad. Wikipedia article on the history of the railroad. (Submitted on April 10, 2010.) 
 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
 
Old Paradise Depot and Museum image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 8, 2010
3. Old Paradise Depot and Museum
Paradise Depot Museum image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 8, 2010
4. Paradise Depot Museum
This plaque is mounted on the building to the left of the entrance doors:
Paradise Depot Museum
Depot 1904
Museum 2007
A Gold Nugget Museum
Old Paradise Depot and The B.C.R.R. Caboose image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 8, 2010
5. Old Paradise Depot and The B.C.R.R. Caboose
Rear View of the Depot image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 8, 2010
6. Rear View of the Depot
Plaque Mounted on the B.C.R.R. Caboose image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, April 8, 2010
7. Plaque Mounted on the B.C.R.R. Caboose
In memory of
David LaFabregue
and his generous donation of this caboose.
Refurbished by the
Rotary Club of Paradise
May 5, 2007
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,168 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement