Centerville in Butte County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Dedicated in Memory of Cora Woods Hintz
A Former Teacher May 3, 1970
Annie E. Bidwell Parlor No.108
Native Daughters of the Golden West
Erected 1970 by Annie E. Bidwell Parlor No.108, Native Daughters of the Golden West.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 39° 47.255′ N, 121° 39.394′ W. Marker is in Centerville, California, in Butte County. Marker is on Centerville Road north of North Humbug Road, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13548 Centerville Road, Chico CA 95928, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Centerville Cemetery (approx. one mile away); Old Paradise Depot (approx. 3 miles away); PFC. Steven J. Walberg-Riotto Paradise Veterans Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); Town of Paradise Memorial Trailway (approx. 3 miles away); Old Paradise (approx. 3.3 miles away); Paradise Pioneers (approx. 3.3 miles away); The Dogtown Nugget (approx. 4.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Centerville School. The Colman Museum details the history of the school. (Submitted on April 11, 2010.)
1. Centerville School – 1894
Information posted on the kiosk at the Honey Run Covered Bridge
Concerned by the lack of educational resources in the region, a group of parents established the Centerville School District and Board in 1871. The first order of business was to construct a new schoolhouse at the intersection of Nimshew Road and Helltown Road. Construction of the first Centerville School was completed within the year.
By the early 1890ís, a population growth in the area deemed a larger schoolhouse necessary. Charles Hintz, a local saw-mill operator, was commissioned to build the new schoolhouse on his property. The second Centerville School was completed
After a zoning error was discovered 15 years later showing that much of the land sold by Mr. Hintz belonged to Charles Colman. Mr. Colman donated his property to the Centerville District. The donated land, originally used for a school play yard, eventually became the site of the Colman Museum.
— Submitted April 11, 2010.
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 843 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.