Sidney in Shelby County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Old Jail
The old jail, actually the county's fourth, was completed in 1875 at a cost of $38,600. The Victorian Italianate design made it a distinctive structure. The front facade is composed of 2,000 pound limestone blocks. The jail housed inmates and also served as the residence for the sheriff and his family. Controversial jail escapes occurred here in 1920, 1922, 1923 and 1930. Don Purkepyle shot and killed his wife inside the jail in 1895.
The jail was closed after a new facility was completed on Gearhart Road in 1994.
Erected 2008 by Sidney County Historical Society, Sidney Visitors Bureau and Sprint.
Location. 40° 17.055′ N, 84° 9.291′ W. Marker is in Sidney, Ohio, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Court Street and Main Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Court Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 203 E. Court Street, Sidney OH 45365, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Burkhart Building (within shouting distance of this marker); US Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Shelby County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Theodore Roosevelt / William Howard Taft Sidney and Shelby County Millenium Monument (about 400 feet away); Shelby County Korean Conflict / Vietnam War Memorial (about 400 feet away); Shelby County Operation Desert Storm Memorial (about 400 feet away); George Washington Bicentennial (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Sidney.
Also see . . . Shelby County Jail History. (Submitted on April 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Government • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 815 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.